Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Authority...

I have been busy reading, chatting with some good friends, and reflecting on the Scripture readings for this Sunday...

Deuteronomy 18:15-20 talks about God raising up a prophet... "I will raise up for them a prophet like you [God is speaking to Moses] from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command." (verse 18)

Mark 1:21-28 speaks about Jesus teaching with authority... "They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes." (verse 22)

Authority... after spending 26 years in uniform, I have had some experiences with authority... the Oath of Commissioning gives an Officer certain responsibilities (Command Authority) as they swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic... Yet a Chaplain, unlike other officers, has no command authority... what does that mean?  It meant I could not command troops... I could not give orders in battle... my role was to advise those in authority with regards to moral and ethical decisions along with issues of religion and spirituality as they, in turn, lead the forces in battle...

A Chaplain does have, inherent in the uniform, rank and Commission; a special authority... I was always humbled and amazed that complete strangers would come into my office or pull me aside to talk... and in sharing, would share their innermost thoughts and sometimes deeply hurting spirit... why?  In part, because a Chaplain offers Privileged Communication... what is talked about in that setting stays there... I could and did tell Commanders to mind their own business if they tried to pry into a counseling situation with one of their troops...  Yet, in many cases, I found that this authority was given by the individual in the form of trust... In quietly listening without judgment... in being a "sounding board"... they were helped...

However, I also had to regain trust with some of our folks in uniform who's trust had been violated by Chaplains who did not fulfill their responsibilities regarding Privileged Communication... that authority which had been believed had been violated... and it took patience and prayer to overcome that... and, sadly, for some it was not possible for this Padre to break through the wall...

Listening to debates and candidates for office, I am dismayed at the lack of substance in their speech... too busy bashing the other candidates and zero in terms of what is needed to fix our country... if you look at Opinion Polls and ratings for Congress, you see a severe authority problem... at all time lows, these polls reveal a lack of trust in the integrity of our elected officials on the part of a large percentage of the public... their leadership, and thus authority, is being questioned... not a pretty sight...

In a bit of good speaking, the President chastised Congress (and I hope he realized that he too is a part of that system and problem)... he pointed to the Military and how politics is put aside as they focus on the mission... while we now know it was a veiled reference to the Special Forces team who freed the kidnapped aid workers in Somalia in the wee hours of the night, his point was spot on.  Back to the Oath of Commissioning (and Enlistment)... Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic... Obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniformed Code of Military Justice (Enlisted Oath)...  There is NO room for political BS when lives are on the line...

As I pray for our political leaders and as our congregation prays on Sunday mornings; we pray for wisdom... that God would work in their hearts... that they would seek to serve the Common Good... At times I feel as though I am beating my head against a brick wall... why won't they listen to me!!

And then I realize... wait a minute... oh wow... I KNOW that I must surely bloody God's forehead with all of my screw ups and botched attempts to serve... But wait... Thank God that God's patience is so much greater than I could ever imagine!  Despite all of the wrong turns and dumb moves this Padre has made and will continue to make; God has called me to serve!

With Authority comes responsibility... Jesus taught with authority... unlike the scribes... He came to humbly serve... and in that humble service... his authority came not from himself, but from God!

I only pray that this cracked pot can be of use to God... and that God will take other cracked pots just like me and begin to heal this land... God help us, we need it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment